Some amazing facts
Some amazing facts
1. “Canada” is an Indian word meaning “Big Village”.
2. The country with the highest consumption of candy at 29.5 pounds annually per person is Denmark.
3. 85,000,000 tons of paper are used in the United States each year.
4. Hydra – an aquatic creature is the only living creature that never die. It regenerates, replacing its cells with fresh ones.
5. A Baboon called “Jackie” became a private in the South African army in World War I.
6. Coca-Cola was originally green because of fresh cocoa leaves.
7. The Nobel Peace prize was first awarded in 1901 to Jean Henry Dunant, who was the founder of the Swiss Red Cross.
8. A bibliophile is a collector of rare books. A bibliopole is a seller of rare books.
9. Babies are born without knee caps. They don’t appear until the child reaches 2-6 years of age.
10. During World War II, the Japanese used shark liver oil in the engines of their fighter planes.
11. A diamond will not dissolve in acid. The only thing that can destroy it is intense heat.
12. Leaving the water running while brushing your teeth can waste four gallons of water in a minute.
13. There are over one hundred billion galaxies with each galaxy having billions of stars.
14. A father sea catfish keeps the eggs of his young in his mouth until they are ready to hatch. He will not eat until his young are born, which may take several weeks.
15. Beetles taste like apples, wasps like pine nuts, and worms like fried bacon.
16. The more a person struggles to get out of quicksand the faster they will sink. Staying still, and being calm will actually make the body float in the quicksand because the body is less dense than the quicksand is.
17. The average lead pencil will draw a line 35 miles long or write approximately 50,000 English words.
18. A humming bird flaps its wings up to 90 times in one second or over 5000 times a minute.
19. “Almost” is the longest word in the English language with all the letters in alphabetical order.
20. Women are twice as likely to be diagnosed with depression than men in the United States.
21. If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.
22. A mosquito will become restless and start flying around if there is an increase of carbon dioxide in the surrounding air.
23. Walmart-mart sells more apparel a year than all the other competing department stores combined.
24. A dog can hear sounds that are 100 times fainter than the faintest sounds that a person can hear. If a person can just hear a noise that is coming from 10 feet away, a dog could hear that same noise from 100 feet away.
25. A person uses approximently fifty-seven sheets of toilet paper each day.
26. Victoria’s Secret model Karolina Kurkova doesn’t have a belly button. A belly button is always photo shopped into her bikini shots.
27. The best time for a person to buy shoes is in the afternoon. This is because the foot tends to swell a bit around this time.
28. A polar bears skin is black. Its fur is actually clear, but like snow it appears white.
29. Internet Addiction will be classified as a real psychological disorder in 2013.
30. Before air conditioning was invented, white cotton slipcovers were put on furniture to keep the air cool.
31. Each nostril of a human being registers smells in a different way. Smells that are made from the right nostril are more pleasant than the left. However, smells can be detected more accurately when made by the left nostril.
32. A quarter of raw potato placed in each shoe at night will keep the leather soft and the shoes smelling fresh and clean.
33. The reason why hair turns gray as we age is because the pigment cells in the hair follicle start to die, which is responsible for producing “melanin” which gives the hair colour.
34. The largest employer in the world is the Indian railway system in India, employing over 1.6 million people.
35. About 10,000,000 people have the same birthday as you.
36. The Great Pyramids used to be as white as snow because they were encased in a bright limestone that has worn off over the years.
37. The average distance between the stars in the sky is 20 million miles.
38. Abraham Lincoln had to go across the street to the War Department to get news from the battlefield because there was no telegraph in the White House.
39. If you are struck by lightning, your skin will be heated to 28,000 degrees Centigrade, hotter than the surface of the Sun.
40. Basketball was invented in 1891 by James Naismith. He set out to invent a game to occupy students between the football and baseball seasons.