Riddles and answers
Riddles and answers
1. I can run but not walk. Wherever I go, thought follows close behind. What am I?
2. Ripped from my mother’s womb, beaten and burned, I become a blood thirsty killer. What am I?
3. I’m tall when I’m young and I’m short when I’m old. What am I?
4. I run over fields and woods all day. Under the bed at night I sit not alone. My tongue hangs out, up and to the rear, awaiting to be filled in the morning. What am I?
5. All about, but cannot be seen, Can be captured, cannot be held, No throat, but can be heard. What is it?
6. Tuesday, Tom and David went to a restaurant to eat lunch. After eating lunch, they paid the bill. But Tom and David did not pay the bill, so who did?
7. I am the beginning of the end, and the end of time and space. I am essential to creation, and I surround every place. What am I?
8. If you break me I do not stop working, if you touch me I may be snared, if you lose me nothing will matter. Who am I?
9. A monkey, a squirrel, and a bird are racing to the top of a coconut tree. Who will get the banana first, the monkey, the squirrel, or the bird?
10. When set loose I fly away, never so cursed as when I go astray. What am I?
11. What jumps when it walks and sits when it stands?
12. Why did the chicken cross the road, roll in the dirt and cross the road again?
13. Each morning I appear to lie at your feet, all day I will follow no matter how fast you run, yet I nearly perish in the midday sun. What am I?
14. Why did the chicken stop in the middle of the road?
15. My thunder comes before the lightning. My lightning comes before the clouds. My rain dries all the land it touches. What am I?
16. You heard me before, yet you hear me again, then I die, ’till you call me again. Who am I?
17. Which singer should you call when you throw a party for the 4th of July?
18. I fly, yet I have no wings. I cry, yet I have no eyes. Darkness follows me, lower light I never see. What am I?
19. At the sound of me, men may dream or stamp their feet at the sound of me, women may laugh or sometimes weep. What am I?
20. A hiker went without sleep for seven days and wasn’t tired. How come?
21. What am I Never ahead, ever behind, yet flying swiftly past. For a child, I last forever. For an adult, I’m gone too fast. What am I?
22. Whoever makes it, tells it not. Whoever takes it, knows it not. Whoever knows it, wants it not. What is it?
23. It cannot be seen, it weighs nothing, but when put into a barrel, it makes it lighter. What is it?
24. I give you a group of three. One is sitting down and will never get up. The second eats as much as is given to him, yet is always hungry. The third goes away and never returns. What are they?
25. Big as a biscuit, deep as a cup, even a river can’t fill it up. What is it?
26. Where do you find roads without vehicles, forests without trees, and cities without houses?
27. You saw me where I never was and where I could not be. And yet within that very place, my face you often see. What am I?
28. To unravel me you need a key. No key that was made by locksmith’s hand, but a key that only I will understand. What am I?
29. What’s brown and has a head and a tail but no body?
30. A box without hinges, lock or key, yet golden treasure lies within. What is it?
31. It is said among my people that some things are improved by death. Tell me, what stinks while living but in death smells good?
32. What has a neck and no head, two arms but no hands?
33. What can you hear but not touch or see?
34. When you went into the woods you got me. You hated me yet you wanted to find me. You went home with me cause you couldn’t find me. What am I?
35. I am the black child of a white father, a wingless bird, flying even to the clouds of heaven. I give birth to tears of mourning in pupils that meet me, even though there is no cause for grief, and at once on my birth I am dissolved into air. What am I?
36. If an electric train is travelling south, which way is the smoke going?
37. I am mother and father, but never birth or nurse. I’m rarely still, but I never wander. What am I?
38. You have to travel far before you turn it over. What is it?
39. What has hands but can not clap?
40. What can run but never walks, has a mouth but never talks, has a head but never weeps, has a bed but never sleeps?
Answers to riddles
1. A nose.
2. Iron ore.
3. A candle.
4. A shoe.
5. The wind.
6. Their friend, Tuesday.
7. The letter e. End, timE, spacE, Every placE.
8. Your heart.
9. None of them, because you can’t get a banana from a coconut tree.
10. A fart.
11. A kangaroo.
12. Because he was a dirty double crosser.
13. A Shadow.
14. He wanted to see his flat mate.
15. A volcano.
16. An echo.
17. Katy Perry, so she can sing Fireworks.
18. A cloud.
20. He slept at night.
22. Counterfeit money.
23. A hole.
24. A stove, fire, and smoke.
25. A kitchen strainer.
26. On a map.
27. A reflection.
28. A cipher.
29. A penny.
30. An egg.
31. A pig.
32. A shirt.
33. Your voice.
34. A splinter.
36. There is no smoke, it’s an electric train.
37. A tree.
38. An odometer.
39. A clock.
40. A river.